Ever since losing 16 pounds, many people have been asking me “How Did You Do It?” My journey started back in 2016 after coming back from my trip to Spain. During my time there, we spent a lot of time at the beach, walking around, eating and taking lots of pictures. Had I know I would have been in a bathing suit the whole time and snapping cute #ootd pictures for my blog, I probably would have tried to lose a couple of pounds! I was disappointed in myself because I didn’t look or feel my best. I even felt beaten inside because I had let myself get to this point and there wasn’t anyone else to blame but myself.
My actual wake up call happened, after seeing my best friend lose 20 pounds on The Nutrisystem Diet. Her success triggered something inside of me, and at that point in my life, I knew it was finally time to do something about it! I had great results on the program but stopped after two months because a better opportunity presented itself- a secret that I won’t be able to share with you at this moment. (Stay tuned).
My whole life – well, after graduating high school- all I wanted to achieve was a slimmer body! However, I never took the proper steps to make it happen. I’d go from one diet to another, lose weight and go back to eating badly. The problem was that I wasn’t eating enough through out the day, wasn’t drinking enough water, didn’t have the motivation or the accountability. Sixteen pounds later, I finally learned the amount of hard work and dedication needed to be successful. Never in a million years did I think I would be feeling confident in my own skin.
My lifestyle change was a commitment that I made to myself and something I desperately wanted. I think everyone, at some point, realizes that sacrifices need to be made to be successful. Deciding to lose weight wasn’t an easy choice, but I knew it was crucial and beneficial to my health.
Before we get started, think about how you see yourself in 1, 2, 3 or 10 months from now.
Whether it’s losing weight, going back to school or finally committing to your fitness journey; how do you expect to get there? What do you need to give up to fully succeed?
Below, I’m going to break down what helped me lose the weight in just 3 months!
Tips on how to lose weight:
1. Water – I never knew the importance of drinking water until I changed my eating habits. I would say that increasing my water helped me A LOT during the weight-loss process. I still drink 64oz of water per day, and during hot days and days when I work out, I increase up my intake. There are also, many beauty benefits from drinking water. My skin started to feel and look healthier. Check out this article from Cosmopolitan, “10 Benefits of Drinking Water” :
2. Vegetables – I love veggies, so this part wasn’t hard for me at all. Every time I’d feel hungry, I’d eat veggies to fill in the gaps. Eat an unlimited amount of non-starchy vegetables; helps keep your metabolism running and feeds your body the nutrients it needs.
3. Eating 6 x a day – Eating in the morning, afternoon and evening is important for the weight-loss process. Also, adding three snacks in between your morning, afternoon and evening meals are vital! This will help keep your metabolism running all day and give you the BEST results.
4. Vitamins – I never took into consideration the importance of vitamins until I went through a scary health experience on Memorial Day Weekend. I picked out vitamins that were geared and made for women. Fish oil is another great choice for your joints, hair growth and other beauty related benefits. For those wondering, I went with Vitafusion Women’s Vitamins.
5. Fitness – I started off doing Crossfit about three years ago and then transitioned into cycling. I love my cycling classes, and I always have a blast whenever I go! I think it’s important to love whatever sport you chose for your fitness routine. If not, you’ll dread it every time you go in. It will be a waste of money, a waste of time and you’ll never get the results you want. Pick a sport that will challenge you but that you’ll enjoy attending every day.
During your first two weeks of changing your diet, I wouldn’t recommend working out too much. If you do, keep it light, take it easy and drink water! I personally work out three times a week and find it to be more than enough. Working out definitely sped up the process.
DON’T GIVE UP YOUR FAVORITE FOOD!
Just like all things in life, everything should be used or consumed in moderations. Whether it’s alcohol, burgers, fries, candy, whatever it may be, just have a little of it. Give yourself cheat days and enjoy it!! However, I highly encourage that during the first few months of dieting to focus and commit to eating clean through this time. Within the first quarter that’s when you’ll see the best results. Yes, I know it’s hard, but it’s doable. If I can do it, so can you!
Vegan cuisine is healthy and not to mention, DELICIOUS! They have great alternatives for burgers, chicken, chinese food AND majority of the food is filled with veggies, good sources of fiber and other added health benefits. Check out “The Best L.A Guide” blog post for Vegan Restaurants in L.A.
Pinterest is a great source to look up yummy and healthy recipes. You can make a pizza crust out of cauliflower, you can make zucchini spaghetti, chips out of sweet potatoes and so much more! The possibilities are endless, so eating healthy doesn’t need to be boring. Follow me on Pinterest for more inspiration and recipe ideas!
My life has completely changed for the best! Looking back at these pictures and remembering how I felt in that moment in time, is something I never want to experience again. My journey doesn’t end here, in fact, it’s only just begun! Please share with me down below, personal struggles and success stories!!